- 500 g flour
- 25 g yeast
- 5 yolks
- 100 g sugar
- 230 ml milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange extract
- 1 tbsp grated orange peel
- 80 g butter
- 8 g salt
- 10 ml oil
- 400 g Nutella
- 1 g chocolate
- 1 egg
- 50 ml water
- 40 g zahar
- Warm up the milk in which we add the sugar, vanilla extract,orange extract and grated orange peel and warm it up until the sugar melts. After the sugar have melted, let the milk cool, it should be warm, not hot.
- In a saucepan add the butter and melt it over lowheat so as not to burn the butter.
- Add the salt over the yolks and mix well, until the mixture begins to thicken and darken in color.
- Mix the yeast with 3-4 tablespoons of the flavoured milk until the composition becomes liquid, make a small hole in the flour bowl and cover the yeast with flour. Leave for about 5-10 minutes, during which time the yeast starts to activate.
- Add over the flour the yolks mixed with salt and flavored milk and start kneading. Gradually add the melted butter and oil and knead. Initially we will get a soft dough that will flow, but as we knead, the gluten network will develop and we will have an elastic and smooth dough. Transfer the dough to a bowl greased with oil and leave it to rise for 90-120 minutes.
- For the filling I used 400 g of Nutella and 100 g of chocolate. After the dough have risen, I greased the work surface with oil and spread the dough. I greased it with Nutella, added the chocolate pieces and twisted the dough into a roll, starting with the side from me. I cut the roll in 2 long pieces and I braided them.
- I put babka in a 32×13 cm tray but I would advise you to use a bigger tray or, if you don't have one, before spreading the dough, cut a little more of the dough because babka will grow quite a lot. After I transferred the babka in the tray, I let it to rise for another 90 minutes. I greased it with a beaten egg.
- Put the babka in the preheated oven and baked it at 180 degrees, heat up and down program with ventilation, on the bottom rail of the oven for 40-45 minutes. If you think it is browning too much, you can cover it with aluminum foil or baking paper.
- After removing the babka from the oven, make a syrup with 50 ml of water and 40 g of sugar and grease the cake. Let it cool completely and then took it out of the tray. It's not such a simple recipe, but I promise it's delicious!